We are here to help you. Immediate Need? We Are Available 24/7.Call Now (303) 399-0692
What is the Purpose of a Funeral Service?
A funeral not only honors a life, it also helps loved ones on their grief journeys. Through adding personal touches, the funeral can both capture a life story and help loved ones honor their memory.
What Happens at a Funeral?
Typically, a funeral includes a visitation, funeral service, burial or cremation, and a post-funeral reception. However, these traditions may vary depending on your religious and personal beliefs, and you can customize your service to create a truly unique funeral experience.
At the visitation, you may view your loved one, express your condolences to the grieving family, view any memorial displays or videos, and sign the funeral register book. The funeral service is typically at a church, funeral home, or another significant location. It may include a eulogy, scripture readings, prayers, memorial songs, and other meaningful tributes.
If you choose to bury your loved one, there also may be a funeral procession to the cemetery. After the burial or cremation, everyone may gather at the service location or another place for a post-funeral reception for a meal and sharing memories of your loved one.
Funeral Service Types
“Funeral service” is a broad term that can be broken down into many different funeral service options:
- Traditional funeral service — This is a typical service with a visitation, ceremony, and burial or cremation. You also can choose to not have a visitation, but we encourage you have one, as it helps everyone grieve their loss.
- Celebration of life ceremony — This is similar to a funeral service, but allows more room for creativity and may not always follow the traditional elements of a funeral service.
- Graveside funeral service — You can have this instead of or in addition to a traditional funeral service or celebration of life ceremony.
- Direct burial or cremation — This wouldn’t include a visitation or service, but we encourage you to have a service, as it both honors your loved one and helps everyone grieve their loss.
Funeral Personalization Ideas
Simple, yet meaningful details can create a more personalized funeral service for grieving family and friends. Some funeral personalization ideas are:
- A decorated display table of a loved one’s prized possessions
- Serving their favorite meal or famous recipe
- Playing their favorite songs
- Designing the service around a significant theme like a favorite hobby
- Incorporating their favorite color into the service
Denver families trust us and we are grateful
At Fairmount Funeral Home, Cemetery and Crematory, we pride ourselves in offering a wide selection of funeral service types. Whether you want a traditional funeral or a more out-of-the-box funeral ceremony, our staff is here to help.
We are proud to help Colorado families and provide them with quality services. Our hospitality identifies us in the community, and our clients have honored us with their invaluable feedback. Feel free to read them by clicking below.